Monday, May 12, 2008

Hypothermia--Mother's Day Boo Boo

Well, my weekend didn't go as planned. I had several items on my list to complete, and barely scratched the surface. I did get the garage cleaned, and for the first time in years, two vehicles have been parked inside the garage. That is cool. But how long can it really last?

I was able to power wash the patio, clean out part of the shed and finish planting. I finished mulching around the swimming pool and flower area. Those are all positives, but honestly, most of this work was completed on Friday, as I didn't make it in to work.

I woke at 5 AM on Saturday and helped my wife get ready for the day long Girl Scout adventure to Lincoln city. Some type of bi-centennial celebration. I was not extremely motivated early and ended up playing online poker for a couple of hours. I decided it was time to get in the pool and extract the leaves that were laying lifeless at the bottom of the pool, since my pool cover slipped off during the winter. I entered the pool, and to no one's surprise it was COLD! Now, I don't mind cold all that much because eventually your body adjusts and one can go about their business. Well, not this day. It was so cold I hurt, but never numbed out. But, since I am a man with a nutsack, I stayed in for 2.5 hours trying to get leaves and pine needles from the murky depths. I even took the steps out in order to clean them. I knew all along staying in the pool was a bad idea, but I just couldn't make myself get out. I mean, I was already wet and cold, why not just tough it out and be done with it. Well--no such luck. I'll be frank, I gave up. I just couldn't endure the cold any longer, as my feet were aching and teeth chattering.

The result of this stupendous maneuver was the rest of Saturday accomplishing nothing as I tried to get warm. Can you remember the last time you were bone cold? I finally climbed into bed with sweatpants, socks and long sleeved shirt. I fell asleep and 3 hours later awoke. I was finally warm, but not whole. I felt as if I had been beat up, or stayed out all night partying hard. I was useless the rest of the day. Totally useless.

Then on Sunday, 'Mother's Day', I made an error by not getting a card, and by not purchasing a bag/purse type item. I thought I had the whole bag/purse thing worked out, as I told her to go ahead and buy the bag/purse item, because it was clear she was leaving me hints. So, then on Mother's Day when there is no bag/purse type item she is 'girly' about it. I'm like, we talked about this and I told you just to buy it. I lose that argument obviously, and the evening I was punished emotionally. Short and abrasive tone, coupled with indignant eye rolling and forced conversation was the norm. Luckily this morning, she seemed to have slept it off, and I made the appropriate apologies. All is well again.

Oh, btw, I am thinking of getting back in that pool today. I never said I was smart!

Peace--and don't forget the Girl Scout Bus leaves at 9:15 AM on Friday. If you don't know the destination then you're not part of the crew.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you first had cold feet, then you got the cold shoulder. But it's not cold comfort to remember that we're only 3 days from Tunica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good description Super Mundus. I am leaving work right now and have every intention of getting back in that cold son of a bitch. I know this is risky before Tunica, but it must be done.

    ReplyDelete